All times are UTC - 7 hours

Feedback, figures and frustrating questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 am 

Hello,

Sorry to trouble you but I was curious about one or two things. Since you are the main man, I naturally thought to ask these questions to you.
Firstly, how do you feel about feedback from readers? Some authors enjoy it while others hate being told what to do and who to put into their stories. I was just asking because you have created great secondary characters who I would love to see again. Examples include Tessari, Elodore Pleasant, Judge Vaulkberg, Malinbois, Stoecker etc. Although I am aware that you can and most likely will create great new characters.

Of course you have created many other great secondary characters but by being characters of C.L. Werner they generally have violent deaths. Such great characters include the desperate Lobo, the greedy Dr Lucas Phillip Loew, Mad Rudol and the opportunistic Furchtegott.

I personally think that very few of your ‘negative’ characters are actually very wicked. Not in the sense that they want to perform evil acts anyway... I hope you have not found these comment insulting, I find that dark grey characters are as enjoyable as black-hearted ones. It is also quite refreshing.

With Warhammer, I believe that you are more interested in background than models (I am anyway). However I found that a new ‘Witch Hunter’ model/character being released (Empire) and I’m be damned if it doesn’t resemble Thulmann once the feathers, brightness and larger sword (zweihemer?) are removed. Do you think so?

Lets conclude with a few perhaps unimportant questions...

Do you believe that Wolfram Kohl was studying Das Buch Die Unholden?

Was Baron von Gotz always as ‘nasty’ as he is portrayed or did his nature change when/while the Nurgle-based salve was placed upon him?

Finally, how do you like to be addressed? C.L.? Werner? Clint? Carandini? Superman?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Feedback, figures and frustrating questions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 am 

Sorry for the long delay. I always appreciate reader feedback and was very happy to hear you enjoy so many of the supporting characters in my stories. I always try to invest them with a spark of their own so they are memorable, even when they're just bestial monsters and oversized animals.

The new witch hunter model doesn't resemble Thulmann too much, but the earlier Vanhel model does. The strange thing I find is that I have plans for Thulmann to loose an eye next time I use him and that new model has an eyepatch. Rather curious... wonder if someone at Game Development peeked at my outline. I will sometimes base a character's appearance on a miniature, however, most notably the assorted Bonerippers.

I think Wolfram Kohl was probably trying to study Das Buch die Unholden, but given that tome's treacherous ways, he probably didn't get very far.

Baron von Gotz was a self-absorbed hedonist and abuser of power even before he was subjected to daemonic influences. I'd say that the salve just accelerated all the worst aspects of his character and was so hideously effective with him because he was such a vile creature of small morality from the very start.

As for your last question, Clint is fine. No pretensions of grandeur here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:29 am 

So Clint... Thulmann may be losing an eye? He'll have to look out for that injury (insert recorded laughter).

I may be WAY off the mark the mark here but I think I may know what you are doing. The witch hunter must struggle to extent that he eventually suffers a serious injury. A victory is only as large as the challenge & you can't let him fighting evil-doers and getting off scott-free, It might get repetitive and predictable. However if you want Mathias to continue fighting, it must not be an injury that majorly reduces his abilities. A missing eye still allows him to battle without getting in the way while adding more "menace" to the character and the situations he gets into. (An example of this is Brunner's injured shoulder.)

I'm just reflecting now so these words are probably of little value but I've always found eye patches a bit cliched. (Hear me out..) Although not as cliched as scars, eye patches are very popular because they can injure a protagonist while keeping him/her handsome. Because of this many injured heroes/villains have them. It is very, very rare to find an unsightly protagonist, they tend to gorgeous at best and average at worst. You have to admit that Thulmann is a handsome man.
I'm just throwing ideas around now but there can be many not-inconvenient injuries, such as slashed ears (partly, just the lobe or remove the whole thing), missing fingers, (or if you are not worried about beauty) crushed noses, crushed chins, damaged teeth (maybe to extend that metal teeth need to inserted, although not to the extent of "Jaws" from "James Bond") and scars (facial or otherwise).

I must admit that I was almost hoping that one of the characters would gain mutations. In my humble opinion, the ideal character to do so is Streng. Thulmann and Streng have a very close relationship despite their vast differences and this would place a permanent strain between the two, imagine the emotional (and eventually physical) pain that each would feel as one hunted the other. Streng is also a favourite character for many readers. Although I must admit that you already have the "emotional strain" flavour already flowing with Gregory the vampire and the Mr Lichtberg (in their relationship with Thulmann, not each other).

I'm going off topic anyway and no insult is implied or intended, I'm just chatting about how badly Thulmann can be hurt, although if you ever tire of writing about Mathias, I'm sure that you'll give him a significant injury in his last book. He might even lose his moustache!!

To finish... a man enters an airport with a stuffed vulture under his arm, he goes to enter his assigned plane when an air hostess says "Shouldn't you place that 'thing' with the suitcases and other luggage?"
He replies "No, its carry on."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 am 

I think when it happens, you'll find Mathias's injury anything but cliched. Horrific and abominable, maybe, but not cliched. One of the other wounds you suggested was also in my thoughts. The main thrust of this ordeal isn't so much to illustrate the hazards of his profession, but rather to explain the actions of another character which have major repurcussions in the plot. I don't want to say anything more, however, as this is all subject to the whims of change at this early stage and ultimatley limited by how dark a narrative I'm able to convince my editors to run with.

Awful pun, by the by. Carrion indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:32 am 

The underfolk must be scheming below ground as things have gone quiet here since my last visit. You haven't defected to author Wordpress blogging have you Clint?

Pleased to hear that Thulmann may yet make a reappearance! Recently I was enjoying an old Chris Wraight story with a witch hunter... You may be faintly familiar with it, being as it was released at the same time as your tie-in novel for Warhammer's online game. Herr Wraight's adventure featured a female lead wearing the monster hunter's hat. ;)

Here is a direct link to 'Burrow Town...'

http://libermalefic.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... r-run.html

Regards,

Stu