All times are UTC - 7 hours

The Sickhouse (an ugly perspective)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:18 am 

I liked the story The Sickhouse, not because it had two bounty killers in it. I loved it not because it brought back a previous personality (no I won't tell you which one, you just have to read the story). I loved it not because it showed just how awful the Red Pox was...and let me assure you it was really, really awful. I enjoyed it because of the ugly perspective of the antagonist. In his(?) eyes, what he was doing was a holy work for his deity. He truly believed he was divinely ordained to glorify his god and that he had no greater work or joy. To paraphrase from the story, "...gods were at work here..." (sorry, don't have the story right in front of me right now).

What this story does, unlike a ton of craptacular fiction out there now, is give a perspective of each character. You get a sense from Mr. Werner's writing that every character is a living, breathing organism that believes they are the center of the universe, they are the central figure in their own story. Yet, to us, we see they are all parts of a much larger story and even though we as the reader may not have the understanding to grasp the entirety of the "larger" story, we know there is one. What the antagonist was doing was not wrong in his eyes, but to the heroes, to us the reader, it most certainly was wrong. Yet what is delightful is that we can see why the antagonist was doing what he was doing and it was all succintly explained in about two to three sentences. You'll just have to read the story to see the ones I mean...

8-)

Re: The Sickhouse (an ugly perspective)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 pm 

Thanks for the kind words. I think it's an important distinction to get into the head of each character, especially the nonhuman ones, and figure out what makes them tick. It is the small touches of personality or instinct that, I believe, make these things comes alive. a carnosaur who drags his prey away from a gaggle of meesly humans because it doesn't want them scavenging its kill is a perfect example. Sure, it could kill them all, but that would require effort and at the moment, with a nice juicy thunder lizard, the carnosaur just isn't interested in doing that.