All times are UTC - 7 hours

Re: Wulfrik
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 am 

Finished Wulfrik last night and really enjoyed it, though my sympathy for the character expired somewhat at the end with regards his love interest.

On the whole I think it evoked well the Norscan attitude to the Gods of the Warhammer world and their reaving philosophy. I did think some of the language and words were a bit 21st Century colloquial - did I spot an 'OK'? I also thought that a few more Old Norse words could have been inserted to add a bit of flavour, like Robert Low, Giles Kristian or Michael Scott Rohan have done in their Norscan related novels (which I also highly recommend).

There was a lot of fighting, but most of it was colourful and exciting. I didn't think the Norscan crew of the Seafang were fleshed out much though, apart from Broendulf the Fair (if I've spelled his name right). Indeed, more could have been made of his eventual fate I think. Speaking of fate, I also would have enjoyed more of an exploration of Norscan views on fate or 'wyrd' and it might have been more interesting for Wulfrik to spit on the Gods and vow hubristically to challenge his doom, rather than accept it. What would have happened if he simply refused to go questing, for example?

Anyway, despite being a champion of Chaos he was easy to cheer on for most of the book as his foes were even more despicable - a good way to get readers on the side of the anti-hero. I'd certainly be interested in reading of his further adventures.